Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Coming Soon to a Single's Ward Near You




Well, we said our farewells to one of our long-lasting, great missionaries this evening. He's been here somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-9 months. Long enough for a full-fledged man of God to be born. Not exactly, I guess. By the time he made it here, he was probably pretty far along in the whole birthing process, but to see him two days before he returned home was like watching this beautiful metamorphoses take place.

I've always told everyone that I knew I would only marry a returned missionary. Some people thought that was putting a pretty tight restriction on who I would date (truth be known- I dated just about anything that moved, I was a little more particular on who I was engaged to, and even MORE picky on who I said 'Yes' to).

I always knew, from a 4 year old girl being taught by the missionaries, that these guys had something special going for them. At the time, I had no idea what it was, I just knew that our house was a much better place when the missionaries were in it.

We teased our Elder Garner incessantly about being mobbed by the girls as soon as he walked off the plane (I believe someone referred to him as "God Candy"- you know, kind of like "Eye Candy" something yummy, but you can only look at it, except this was something appetizing that was still God's and not yet ready for SWF consumption). I don't think returned missionaries quite get what makes them more attractive (physically and spiritually) than others, so I decided to share my personal thoughts on this matter.

--This one's for you Davey (Elder G.)--

What makes a RM (returned missionary) more attractive than NRM (non-RM's)

1) You get a good sense of where their priorities lie (and it's not in the latest PlayStation 2 game)

2) They know what it's like to have to work your butt off, sometimes for nothing more than knowing you are doing it for the right reason

3) They have tasted grosser cooking than you could possibly conjure up as a wife, and learned to smile and say 'delicious!' (this was BIG points in my case)

4) They have faced insurmountable odds each day for two years, looked the adversary in the face, and ran him down (sometimes with their bike and/or car)

5) They know what true joy feels like and what pain and desperation look like. They have worked the last two years making sure everyone knows where to find the first, and that they never have to reclaim the second.

6) What guy doesn't look EXCELLENT in a suit and tie?

7) I knew if my husband always put God first, I would never have to be second. I know that a marriage is built between two people WITH God.

8) Missionaries have spent two years learning to communicate and understand all different walks of life and personalities. A big plus in any relationship.

9) They realize the importance of praying with your companion, and working on goals together.

10) Their faith is solid, their roots- securely ground to the earth. They are true and faithful to what matters most to them, and they have proven that for more than 24 months. They have given up their lives for the Lord, payed their 10% tithing on their 20 years of life. They have doubted at times, and felt the reassuring hand of God comfort and direct them. They are warriors of the truth, soldiers of our God, and have been molded to become the future fathers and husbands that the world so desperately needs.

They are what is right about the world. They are what I pray each day that my son will emulate. I see the fire in their eyes, and I know that a mother sent a boy on a mission and a man will return. How proud she should be, and how proud I am to know them.

Well done, thou good and faithful servant,
Well done, thou good and faithful son.
You have seen the field is white,
You have fought a winning fight,
You have earned the Savior's gentle praise,
Well done.

1 comment:

The Casa Hunt said...

Tanya, we have a blog too!!


http://randylizaspage.blogspot.com/