Monday, November 29, 2010

The Dog Who Wanted to Die

Are you SERIOUS?!!

Oh yes I am!!

Tonight, about 2 1/2 hours after I went to bed (stupidly thinking I would get in a good, FULL nights sleep).  Moe starts digging around at his blankets, making this weird noises, and coming up to put his cold nose in my ear....CONSTANTLY!  Finally, I got out of bed (after first making Scott get out of bed to see if he had food and water) and followed him....out to the middle of the living room.  He just sat down, but he kept licking his..uh..lips? (if dogs have lips).  I finally let him outside, and crawled back into bed.  He stayed out for about 20 min (loading up on'll see why) and then barked to come in again.  I let him in, and the same routine..this time WORSE, MUCH WORSE.  I rolled over and told Scott that something was really wrong, and that I was taking my fan and going to lay out on the couch with him until I could figure out what was going on.  I gathered my fan, my blanket, and my Moe and we curled up on our oversized chair.  And then I realized what was going on.  He was choking.  He kept...uh...well, TRYING to upchuck something from his throat, but it wasn't working.  He was breathing, but it was very shallow and he was having a hard time with it.

I immediately said a prayer (I figured Scott wouldn't be too excited to get up and give a dog a blessing...and something tells me his faith might have been doubting had I made him), and turned on the laptop.  After what seemed like 8 hours of booting up, the internet finally came up (miracle in and of itself) and I looked up some information.  I found instructions for trying to dislodge the 'object' (can' wait to see what it is...if I ever find out.  Probably a barbie head.), then moved on to the Heimlich.  You can't tell from this picture, but this dog is approx 8 feet long, give or take.  It's pretty much a snake with short legs and hair.  Needless to say, the Heimlich was quite the acrobatic act and amusing, I'm sure.  I didn't receive any IMMEDIATE results, however, within the next 10 min he did barf up what looks like a truckload of oatmeal and grass.  Twice.  Unfortunately, that didn't do the trick.  He wanted back outside (to reload), so I let him out again.  He was out for another 15 min and he just came in again.  He seemed to be acting fine, so I started shutting off lights again, when I look over and he's gagging all over again.  Looks like it's going to be a long night.

I'll try and keep you updated.


The Mom said...

I no sooner pressed the -enter- button, when I heard Enoch's cat, Nyx barfing up in the kitchen. I have surrendered my night officially to animal barf.

Thor said...

When my sheltie, Gretchen, was a pup, she swallowed a rock which lodged in her throat. We rushed her to the vet and he gave her a shot - said it would make her produce saliva and dislodge the rock. On the way home she starts drooling on me like a waterfall. I don't know what happened to that rock, but she never touched another one again.