Monday, August 16, 2010

What would YOU do for $500?

 I signed up through my health insurance for a program that would GIVE me $500 if I lost 10% of my body weight, and an additional $1000 if I kept if off for a year. Does being overweight PAY?  I guess in this case it LITERALLY does.  How could I NOT go for this one.  I'm already dreaming up what I'll use the money for....a new bed, a used bedroom set, Propane to keep our heat on for the winter...Of course I'm daydreaming about all of this while eating poached eggs at 1 o'clock in the morning.  Why am I eating poached eggs?  Because there is no ice cream and someone ate all the Doo-doo cookies Scott made this afternoon.  Great start, eh? 
 
I went to my Physicians office who told me that it would be totally easy (said by someone who has never battled a weight problem themselves).  All I needed to do was keep track of everything I eat, then figure out the calories and keep it to under 1200 a day (I think that's right...well, either 120, 1200 or 120000...one of those), and excercise more (or in my case, excercise).  Well, gee doc...why didn't you tell me that 100 lbs and 5 kids ago?!  Of course, the fact that I have to figure in my 12 meds, including a steroid, miiiight add a little to the issue, but let's face it, I was looooong gone before the steroid ever came into play.
 
So, here's my plan.  Enoch and Amelia start Seminary on the 24th.  I plan on driving them to Seminary, walking with a friend of mine from 6-7am, then coming home.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to hit the YMCA a couple of days a week as well.  I'm REALLY hoping that I start to ENJOY the feeling of being fit and losing weight and really go to town on this.  I just hope that I recognize that feeling when I get it.  I'm not sure it's ever been with me before.  As for writing down everything I eat, that sounds like a great idea...in theory....in REALITY I'm lucky if I can get my kids schoolwork graded.  Of course, then there's having to find a pencil (that has lead) or a pen (that works) or a crayon, and something to write on (other than their homework...."Mom, why does my math homework say 2 gallons of ice cream?"..."uhhhh. Oh, I was .... uh, going to write you a story problem...."
 
I'll try to keep you posted and up-to-date on how this is going.  Everyone and their brother (just about literally) has enough tips and information they want to share with me.  I'm just hoping to get up on time the morning of the 24th!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Here I am with a tip (and you don't know me from a hole in the wall...but I know Vanessa...) anyways, don't sabotage yourself with an hour of walking per day...that's too much to start. Start with 20 minutes and work your way up to an hour. Take my word for it...it'll work out better for you in the end.

Anonymous said...

I am tired just thinking of what you do...I will be praying for your success...$500 can do ALOT!!!
Good luck.
Hugs
Cherie Murphy